Childhood obesity is a critical public health issue. As the number of overweight children has tripled in the United States over the past 30 years, its impact on children’s health risks has compounded. Type 2 diabetes, which used to mainly occur among adults, is increasingly being reported among children. Childhood is the most crucial time to help kids develop healthy lifestyle habits they can carry into adulthood. The Blue Cross of Idaho Foundation for Health is committed to addressing the rise in obese and overweight children in Idaho.
Pediatricians and family practitioners are on the front line in the effort to reduce obesity. The Good Health Club Toolkit was created specifically for physician offices and provides tools to educate parents and children about childhood obesity and diabetes prevention. The toolkit was developed by the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, in consultation with the American Diabetes Association and the American Academy of Pediatricians.
The materials display messages from the Good Health Club, a group of animated characters who focus on “5-2-1-0” message. The Good Health Club encourages children to:
Outrun Obesity Parent Brochure
Brochure for parents that provides information on childhood obesity, Body Mass Index (BMI), the Good Health Club’s “5-2-1-0” message, and a 10-question risk assessment.
Healthy Tip Sheet
Age specific tip sheets provide information about “5-2-1-0” approach, portion control, and actionable advice for parent and kids to increase healthy behaviors.
- Healthy Tips: Ages 2 - 4 - English (1.2Mb)
- Healthy Tips: Ages 2 - 4 - Spanish (1.2Mb)
- Healthy Tips: Ages 5 - 9 - English (1.6Mb)
- Healthy Tips: Ages 5 - 9 - Espanol (1.6Mb)
- Healthy Tips: Ages 10 - 12 - English (2.2Mb)
- Healthy Tips: Ages 10 - 12 - Espanol (2.2Mb)
- Healthy Tips: Ages 13+ - English (2.2Mb)
- Healthy Tips: Ages 13+ - Espanol (2.2Mb)
The weekly journal is an age specific calendar for kids to record their daily nutritional and behavioral habits following the “5-2-1-0” tips.
- Journal: Kids under 9 - English (436Kb)
- Journal: Kids under 9 - Espanol (436Kb)
- Journal: Kids over 9 - English (685Kb)
- Journal Kids over 9 - Espanol (685Kb)
For more information about Color Me Healthy please contact:
Kendra Witt, PhD, MPH
Blue Cross of Idaho Foundation for Health